Chocolate Cake to make people fall in love (with you)
(makes 1 | 45 minutes | easy)
Also known as torta caprese, it originates from the island of Capri, just off the coast from Naples. It only requires 5 ingredients and is super straightforward and it also happens to be gluten free!
175g almond flour – 125g butter, room temperature – 140g caster sugar – 3 eggs – 140g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a heatproof bowl, add a sliver of butter and place over a small pot in which you’ve added two fingers of water, to allow the chocolate to melt at bain marie. Once it has melted, mix well and set to one side.
- Place the sugar and butter in a large bowl, and mix them together using your hands (the heat from your hands will soften the butter, combining the two ingredients).
- Once the sugar and butter are combined, add the eggs one at the time and mix with a whisk. Add each egg only after the previous one has been incorporated well.
- Once the eggs are all in, pour in the melted chocolate and mix well for a couple of minutes. And don’t forget to lick the melted chocolate bowl thoroughly.
- Sprinkle in the almond flour and combine.
- Line a 20cm baking dish with parchment paper and pour the cake mix into the tin, leveling it with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked – you can test this by inserting a knife into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean it means the cake is properly baked.
- Optionally, to serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar.