Grilled Aubergine & Mozzarella towers
(serves 2 | 20 minutes | easy)
Yes, this recipe has caramelised tomatoes in it. But you don’t have to caramelise them, you can roast them or simply have them raw, if you prefer. The reason why I eat this dish so often is because I LOVE all the main ingredients, and combining them this way is just so delicious.
1 aubergine – 120g cherry tomatoes – 200g mozzarella – fresh basil – extra virgin olive oil – salt and pepper – 1 garlic clove – sugar
- Slice the aubergine into ½ a centimetre slices and place on a grill over high heat. Grill the aubergines, turning them every 4 minutes so they don’t burn.
- Dice the garlic and add to a pan with a few lugs of olive oil. Slice the tomatoes in half and add to the pan, saute over high heat.
- After roughly 5 minutes, sprinkle the tomatoes with sugar, add a drop of water and cover with a lid.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices and wash a handful of basil leaves.
- Once the aubergines are grilled you can begin assembling the dish. Remove the lid from the tomatoes and let the water evaporate, then turn off the gas.
- Place a slice of aubergine on a dish and a slice of mozzarella on top of it. Add a second slice of aubergine followed by another one of mozzarella. Add a third aubergine slice and a third mozzarella slice. Do the same for the entire aubergine, in two separate dishes.
- Top each aubergine tower with the caramelised tomatoes, basil leaves and any extra mozzarella you might have.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and olive oil over the dish and enjoy.