(serves 4 | 1.5 hours | easy)
A dish that belongs to the category of my favorite veggie dishes of all time: peperonata. Every region, town and family has its own peperonata recipe. Some people use peppers and nothing else, whereas others add tons of other veggies too, as is the case for today’s dish.
1 aubergine (diced, skin removed) – 3 potatoes (peeled and diced) – 2 red peppers (diced) – 2 large tomatoes (roughly chopped) – fresh basil – salt and pepper – extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the aubergine till soft, with lots of olive oil. Remove and place to one side.
- In the same pan, cook the diced potatoes until tender, roughly 10 minutes, then place in a bowl to one side.
- Cook the peppers in the same pan, adding half a glass of water after sauteeing them for 5 minutes, then cover with a lid and cook until soft. Place to one side.
- Place the chopped tomatoes in the pan, saute and after 2 minutes add the potatoes, then the soft aubergine and the peppers. Cook everything together for another 30 minutes on low heat. Once cooked, turn off the heat and let the peperonata sit, so that all the juices mix together beautifully.
- Plate, season with salt and pepper, a lug of olive oil and a few basil leaves.