The Best Banana Bread
(makes 1 | 1 hour | easy)
My mum has been making this amazing dessert for as long as I can remember, and I recently rediscovered my love for it. Super easy to make, it does not require many skills or ingredients.
1 ¼ cup of flour – 1 cup of sugar (I tend to use a bit less) – ½ teaspoon of salt – 1 sachet baking powder/1 tsp – 3 very ripe bananas (the darker they are the better) – 1 less ripe banana – ½ cup butter – 2 eggs – dark chocolate chips (optional)
- In a bowl, mash up the three riper bananas with a fork, they have to remain lumpy.
- In another bowl combine the butter, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and mix well.
- Beat the eggs and fold them into the mashed bananas. Add the flour mix and combine to form a lumpy mass. Do NOT over mix.
- Butter the loaf mould, add the chocolate drops to the mix, and pour it all into the mould, level with a spatula.
- Slice the remaining less ripe banana in half, lengthwise and place the two slices on top of the levelled cake dough.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 180°C. Poke the cake with a knife after the time has passed to check if it is cooked through (if the knife comes out clean, the banana bread is ready).